11v11 Divisions (D1 and D2):
We follow FIFA rules with only a few exceptions and distinctions:
- Unlimited substitutions are allowed on dead balls. Substituted players are allowed to sub back into the game.
- The league will reserve all fields, handle all scheduling, and acquire all necessary field permits.
- The league will provide each game with one certified referee (+ two linesmen for championship games).
- Games are 90 minutes long plus stoppage time.
- Shin guards are mandatory.
- All teams must supply their own league approved uniforms. If teams have the same primary uniform, the away team is responsible for bringing an alternate color.
- We require each captain to bring a ball to each game.
- In the event of known weather issues, league administrators will notify team captains of game cancellations by two hours before game time. If word has not been received by that time, the decision is left in the hands of the referee on the field. Non-attendance without word of cancellation is a forfeit.
- For uniform purposes, the team listed first on the website is considered the “home” team and will have choice of uniform.
- Teams with active suspensions will be notified and time permitting suspensions will be posted on the team's schedule page. All members of a team with active suspensions will have to present a photo ID before playing. With the provision of the limited number of referees we use, the referees may recognize the players suspended and IDs would not be required.
- Depending on the severity of the action being disciplined, Gotham Soccer League reserves the right to impose match bans, up to banned for life, for poor behavior before, during, or after any matches conducted in the league. For infractions resulting from honest, hard play the following guidelines will apply:
- 2 Yellow Cards in one game = 1 game suspension.
- 3 Yellow Cards in any 3 games during the 8 game season = 1 game suspension.
- 1 Red Card = 1 game suspension.
- Standings will be determined by these criteria in this order:
- 1. Points
- 2. Goal Differential
- 3. Head-to-Head results
- 4. Goals Scored
- The top 2 teams will play a championship playoff game.
- Playoff games have 3 officials (1 referee and 2 linesmen). If the game is tied after 90 minutes, an additional 5 minutes will be added to the second half. If still tied after 95 minutes, the game goes to penalties.
- "Home" team is defined by the first team appearing in the ticker at the top of our website.
- In the event of same color primary jerseys, the "away" team will have to change.
Rules for our short-sided leagues
General FIFA rules apply with exceptions:
- 7/8 players per team including goalkeeper
- 2 women minimum on field (not including the goalkeeper)
- 46-minute games (23-minute halves)
- No offsides
- No slide tackling
- Unlimited subs on the fly
Player Waiver, Release of Liability, & Indemnification Agreement:
All players in the league must agree to the terms of our player waiver.